Stop to sales of thermal cars, the European Parliament's first yes to Fit for 55

First Strasbourg vote in favor of the Commission’s proposal to block combustion engine cars from 2035. Passes the amendment “save Motor Valley”. The negotiation phase with the EU Council is now opening

Gianluigi Giannetti

– Milan

First green light for the Fit for 55 package which aims to stop sales of thermal cars in the European Union by 2035. The Strasbourg parliament voted on the proposal presented by the European Commission on 14 July. Proposal approved with 339 votes in favor, 249 against and 24 abstentions. At the same time, past changes are different. The rapporteur Jan Huitema (Renew) then asked in the Chamber that the document approved by the plenary session be sent back to the Commission for the interinstitutional negotiations envisaged by the European regulations with the EU Council. Now, therefore, the ball passes again to the executive body of the Union and to negotiations with the Council. A first step therefore, which must be followed by others.

passed and failed

Among the amendments passed in the classroom there are also some that directly concern Italy. This is precisely the case of the amendment approved by the so-called “save Motor Valley” plenary which provides for a derogation to 2036 on CO2 emission standards for companies that produce up to 10 thousand vehicles a year. The bipartisan proposal was presented by Italian parliamentarians with the clear intention of safeguarding niche companies in terms of volumes. On the contrary, the EPP, with the support of the right, had presented two amendments calling for the zero emission obligation to be applied to 90% of the entire car fleet in 2035, still leaving a 10% share of vehicles with engines on the market. internal combustion. The amendments did not foresee a final deadline for this derogation, thus suggesting the possibility that cars with internal combustion engines still exist in 2050, in contradiction with the goal of climate neutrality (zero net emissions) set for that date. The two amendments of the EPP and the conservative right, almost identical, were rejected by the plenary with 264 votes in favor, 328 against and 10 abstentions.

“stimulus”

The logic of the ban on the sale of new cars with internal combustion engines by 2035 (the proposal is to limit the share of emissions by 55% on 2021 as early as 2030) is to prevent internal combustion cars from continuing to circulate in 2050, presumably still numerous in 2035. As the rapporteur Huitema (Renew) explained, the obligation to 2035 should “strengthen innovation, give clarity to manufacturers and stimulate the production of more zero-emission car models, with the creation of a market of second and third hand electric cars “, so as to make them accessible to everyone, even the lowest incomes, and” not just the rich “.



#Stop #sales #thermal #cars #European #Parliaments #Fit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.